Invasion is Too Stuck Inside of its Own Head


Invasion, released on Apple TV in late 2021, is a TV series that I desperately want to like. The premise is great, the "real-time" pacing was something that I found compelling and thought worked to the series' benefit, and I'm just a huge sucker for suspenseful sci-fi stories and high production values. Indeed, there is plenty in Invasion that I do like. I was especially fond of the British and Japanese subplots, and the wonderfully produced visuals and atmosphere make the show genuinely enjoyable to watch, despite serious flaws. Unfortunately, by the end of the tenth episode I couldn't help feeling like my time had been wasted. 

Before I level further criticism, I want to acknowledge that despite its $200 million pricetag, Invasion without a doubt faced major development and production issues. Filmed through 2020 and into early 2021, the series faced uncertainties throughout the COVID pandemic, an event that I have to imagine forced changes into the show's script. Additionally, the show appears to have had trouble finding a director, though the two credited lead writers/creators appeared to have remained with it throughout. That being said, good shows were released during the pandemic and as it began to wane. Invasion is not one of them. 

Building on more than a century of alien invasion sci-fi, Invasion chooses to focus on depicting the chaotic early moments of its premise from the perspective of 'normal' people. Despite hitting on some character tropes that really shouldn't have been that hard to pull off, Invasion's characters are nearly all insufferable, often in completely confusing and contradictory ways. At times, the show puts a ton of work into characterizing its protagonists, only to completely abandon them in a way that it doesn't even bother to explain (Episode 1 is a particularly egregious example). Sure, the average viewer can definitely put it together. But the lack of emotional payoff for most of these characters leaves a black hole in the spirit of the show. 

Speaking of black holes, I wish that the characters were the only one. Despite sticking to a reasonably interesting premise that isn't particularly difficult to understand, Invasion definitely thinks that it is far smarter than its viewers. In its quest to be cerebral, it forgets to forge a real story. For ten episodes I waited for the moment that would compellingly draw the plot together or explain what exactly the showrunners were trying to do, and for ten episodes I was disappointed. There are plenty of lingering shots on distraught faces and alien ecology, and very few that actually establish anything about what distinguishes this alien invasion from any other sci-fi backdrop. Genuinely I'd rather just go back to the 'aliens' from Moonfall, at least that film provided a compelling revelation. 

Invasion's biggest problem is that it feels like an exercise in soullessness. Most of the characters feel as though they may as well already be dead, the story feels as though it moves along with at best a tepid sense of direction, and all the pretty visuals in the world can't make up for the fact that it all feels so damn empty. Maybe it was the pandemic, maybe it's the corporate overlords at Apple, or maybe it was an intentional creative choice. Whatever the reason, I cannot in good conscience recommend this show to anyone who values their time. And yet, some part of me enjoyed watching it. And against my better judgement, I'll probably tune in for Season 2. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assassin's Creed: Revelations - End of an Era

Assassins Creed 2 - A Masterclass in Murder

Citizen Sleeper, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Decay